Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The ORAMM challenge


I'm returning to western North Carolina next week for vacation, but unlike previous visits, this time I'm going to do some racing.


I'm entered to compete in the Off-Road Assault on Mount Mitchell (ORAMM), a 63-mile endurance challenge that includes 11,000 feet of climbing on July 25. It's a race I became aware of a couple years ago and it intrigued me because of its endless climbing and dangerous descents.


Or, as it says on the ORAMM website: "Do not underestimate the extreme difficulty and danger of this event.'' The toothy course profile above seems to bear that out, don't you think?


Ridin' or hidin'? I'm ridin'.


Racing in this event also forced me to start training much earlier than usual. The Florida State Series begins in September, so I normally begin my training in late May. This year, I began on April 2, in order to peak for ORAMM. Because I wasn't able to race much last season, but did maintain decent Base fitness, I didn't need to take a complete break off the bike. So I hit the ground running in April and feel strong and light (134 pounds), especially for so early in my season.


The key component to my training for ORAMM has been riding a lot at Vista View Park in Davie. This use to be a dump, and its elevation -- by South Florida standards -- is ideal to work on climbing. Although not long, the climbs, especially on the South face, can build force skills. Hitting this 1 1/2-mile loop at full speed is also a terrific anaerobic workout, especially if you shift up after cresting.


I began modestly there at endurance pace, riding for an hour, then 90 minutes, then two hours and eventually building to 2 1/2 hours, which is about 25 miles (17 laps). First couple times at that distance, I was completely spent, dismounting unsteadily, head on the tailgate of my truck, tongue wagging. With no shade out there, if the heat and humidity don't nail you, the steeps will.


In past three weeks, I've added a second ride at Vista View, this one a 1 1/2-hour anaerobic test. I do one warm-up lap on the double-track, then a full lap as fast as I can up all the climbs. Lap times have been anywhere from 6:38 to 7:38. Basically, it's an off-road time trial that I repeat four times with an easy double-track lap in between. This is wicked hard.


In between, I've done endurance road rides and a fast group road ride that leaves from Memorial Hospital Miramar. This Saturday group ride, led by a few real hammerheads who attack repeatedly, is a serious challenge for me just to hang on. But I've done well recently, when I've made it the meat and potatoes of a weekly 100-mile epic.


I've done all I can to be ready for ORAMM. I'm going into it with a goal of finishing under 7 hours. It's time to climb like a goat and descend like an anvil.

No comments: